Donald Trump Is Getting It Right on One Thing
1. Jonathan Ladd at Mischiefs of Faction thinks Donald Trump knows what he’s doing with respect to Republican faction politics, or at least has made smart moves even if he doesn’t know what he’s doing. Plausible! He’s wrong about Republicans' Rule 40B, however.
2. At the Monkey Cage, Lori Poloni-Staudinger, J. Cherie Strachan and Brian Schaffner on demographics and support for Hillary Clinton.
3. Seth Masket at Pacific Standard on getting it wrong on Trump.
4. Jamelle Bouie at Slate on the 1994 crime bill.
5. Jonathan Chait on Paul Ryan and the Republican promises to roll out an Obamacare replacement bill any day now.
6. And a good one from my Bloomberg View colleague Francis Wilkinson on the ambitious Bernie Sanders. As he says, the beginning point for all politicians is their ambition; if they didn’t have that, they wouldn’t have run for office in the first place. The exception? George W. Bush, the only person in the nation’s history for whom becoming president was the lowest career hurdle he could find. And his presidency suffered for his lack of ambition.
Get Early Returns every morning in your inbox. Click here to subscribe.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.
To contact the author of this story:
Jonathan Bernstein at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story:
Brooke Sample at email@example.com