Accepting Ted Cruz and the Republican Identity
1. Seth Masket and Julia Azari at Mischiefs of Faction discuss Hillary Clinton's time as first lady.
2. Eric Oliver and Wendy Rahn at the Monkey Cage show that Donald Trump supporters are populists, not authoritarians. I’m not really a fan of the “authoritarian” analysis anyway; at any rate, this seems plausible to me. My big caveat: The attitudes they code as “populist” sound a lot like ones that are preached by a lot of talk radio hosts, and figuring out the relationships involved there strike me as extremely complex (for example, are people with those attitudes drawn to conservative talk shows and then to Trump -- or do people who listen to talk shows adopt those attitudes?).
3. Back at Mischiefs of Faction, Lilliana Mason and Nicholas Davis look at Trump support as a product of Republican identity. Also interesting.
4. Dave Hopkins on the Republican race after Tuesday.
5. Jennifer Mercieca on Trump and paralipsis. Strong analysis, but I'm hesitant to agree this rhetorical device allows Trump to get away with things -- after all, his favorability ratings are awful. He's only getting away with anything among those inclined to agree with him in the first place.
6. Experts urge Congress to get its act together. I agree!
7. Great Jennifer Bendery and Michael McAuliff reporting at the Huffington Post on Republican senators starting into the abyss -- that is, the possibility they are going to have to back Ted Cruz.
8. Here at Bloomberg View, Francis Barry on how Republican rules make Trump possible.
9. Jeffrey Young updates us on how Obamacare isn’t being overturned in Kentucky.
10. And how to make Trump really mad, featuring my View colleague Timothy L. O’Brien, from the Washington Post’s Paul Farhi.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.
To contact the author of this story:
Jonathan Bernstein at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story:
Brooke Sample at email@example.com