Stop Comparing the U.S. to the Fall of Rome
People who are worried about the future of the U.S. often find parallels with the decline and fall of the Roman Empire. And oh the parallels there are! Here are a few I dredged up in a brief Internet search: easy monetary policy, excessive bureaucracy, entitlement spending, income inequality, extreme pleasure-seeking, high military spending, oppressive taxation, shady campaign financing and privatized public services.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Trump Falls on Ceremony. He Should Stop Trying.
- Richard Spencer Has Only Himself to Blame for Hecklers
- Sorry, President Trump. You're No Chester A. Arthur.
- Who Has the World's No. 1 Economy? Not the U.S.
- Russia Is Using Marxist Strategies, and So Is Trump
- A Russian Take on 'The Americans' Scares Moscow Liberals
- Trump’s Quiet Campaign to Undermine Background Checks