Anti-Muslim Sentiment in the Mainstream
1. Christopher Bail at the Monkey Cage on mainstream anti-Muslim sentiment in the U.S.
2. Also at the Monkey Cage: Eleanor Knott on identity in Crimea.
3. Lee Drutman at Polyarchy explains: It’s not campaign money that allows the National Rifle Association to win.
4. This new election gadget, from Aaron Bycoffe and David Wasserman at FiveThirtyEight, is fun. It shows how changes by demographic groups would alter general election results. But as John Sides noted, be careful: It’s more likely we’ll see across-the-board change than different groups moving in different directions.
5. Ross Douthat has a pretty good piece on Donald Trump and fascism. My only real complaint is that we shouldn't think about Trump's supporters as people who were particularly attuned to his message. It's more likely, at least in most cases, that his message was only one of several that might have (and still might) resonate with them. He just got their first thanks to his celebrity status and huge media coverage.
6. And Kevin Drum could be right: Maybe the whole Trump thing is just a rich guy bet gone wrong.
Get Early Returns every morning in your inbox. Click here to subscribe.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.
To contact the author of this story:
Jonathan Bernstein at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story:
Max Berley at email@example.com