Veterans Move Toward Republicans
1. Veterans are moving toward the Republicans. At the Monkey Cage, David Leal and Jeremy Teigen have the numbers -- and the history.
2. At Mischiefs of Faction, Hans Noel looks at fact-checking and why it can (but won’t necessarily) work for voters.
3. National Journal’s Josh Kraushaar is all over Donald Trump's claim in the debate that wages are too high. Couldn't ask for an easier thing to slam in a TV ad.
4. At the Upshot, Justin Wohlers makes a great point: Stop disrespecting female economists. With depressing examples.
5. Here at View, Francis Wilkinson looks at Marco Rubio’s three-step immigration plan -- three steps, that is, to get Rubio through the nomination process.
6. Jonathan Chait on the Republican candidates’ inability to deal with Barack Obama's actual economic record.
7. And this will be my favorite story about the silly-season Republican candidates for a while, or at least until they top it in a few days: Trump claims that he knows Vladimir Putin because they were both profiled in the same episode of "60 Minutes." Not to be outdone, Carly Fiorina says has “met him as well, not in a green room for a show, but in a private meeting.” Which turns out to have been? Yes, in a green room (waiting to give speeches at a conference).
Get Early Returns every morning in your inbox. Click here to subscribe.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.
To contact the author of this story:
Jonathan Bernstein at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story:
Katy Roberts at firstname.lastname@example.org