The Devil in the Details of Budget Deal
1. At Mischiefs of Faction, Julia Azari looks at divisions over process among Republicans, and also (perhaps) among Democrats. I’m not sure about the latter, but she’s correct about Republicans.
2. Also at MoF, John Patty is critical of Paul Ryan’s first steps as speaker-to-be. It depends, I think, on some behind-the-scenes stuff we don’t know yet.
3. Dave Hopkins on why we have so many Republican governors right now.
4. The Washington Post’s Catherine Rampell is correct: The debt limit should be abolished.
5. Greg Sargent at the Plum Line speculates that Republicans may not want to cut Social Security and Medicare. My view: Republicans sincerely want to cut entitlements, and sincerely don't want to cut Social Security and Medicare.
6. Economist Jared Bernstein argues for the budget agreement.
7. While Jonathan Cohn at HuffPost explains the Obamacare provision that will be repealed in the deal.
8. Lydia DePillis of the Washington Post's Wonkblog on the changes to Social Security disability.
9. On the politics of it: Kevin Drum of Mother Jones laughs at Paul Ryan’s (presumably) phony complaints about the deal. But I’m not against a little theater to help everyone gets results, and Ryan would have been nuts to become speaker with a debt limit or shutdown showdown looming.
10. Jaime Fuller collects some of most depressed comments from Jeb Bush supporters.
11. And good Steve Kornacki item on Bill Clinton and DOMA.
Get Early Returns every morning in your inbox. Click here to subscribe.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.
To contact the author of this story:
Jonathan Bernstein at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story:
Katy Roberts at email@example.com