Clinton and Dysfunctional Republicans
1. My View colleague Francis Wilkinson has a must-read interview with political scientists Tom Mann and Norm Ornstein about what's happening in the House and in the dysfunctional Republican Party in general.
2. The Mischiefs of Faction gang on the debate.
3. Good Matt Dickinson item discussing which candidate "won" the debate.
4. Nate Silver's debate recap also focuses (as Dickinson and I both did) on Clinton's strength coming in.
5. While Vox's Matt Yglesias points out that "Clinton's greatest achievement in the 2015 primary hasn't been anything she's done against the candidates running against her. It's been preventing other, more formidable politicians from running against her at all." As he says, that was an impressive accomplishment, not luck, and attests to her political skills.
6. And one more time: Another debunking of Ben Carson's Nazis and handguns insulting nonsense, this time from Holocaust scholar Alan E. Steinweis.
Get Early Returns every morning in your inbox. Click here to subscribe.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.
To contact the author of this story:
Jonathan Bernstein at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story:
Maria Lamagna at firstname.lastname@example.org