Media Coverage and the Case for Joe Biden
1. Political scientist Matthew Dickinson says that, yes, the big explanation for Donald Trump’s success in the polls is media coverage.
2. Josh Huder at Rule 22 makes the point again: John Boehner isn’t going to be kicked out of the Speakership, at least not through the motion some radicals support.
3. Greg Sargent at Plum Line looks into what those polls about Republicans hating their own party are really saying. Useful.
4. Dan Larison at the American Conservative on the Republican candidates and foreign policy experience. I think he’s a bit too harsh on Marco Rubio; I think it’s fair to say that Rubio has, well, some foreign policy experience -- more the “bit” that Barack Obama had in 2008, and the “practically none” that Mitt Romney had in 2012 and most of the field has this time. My conclusion? Republicans don’t actually believe the world is particularly dangerous right now.
5. David Uberti at CJR on covering (or not covering) Trump.
6. Jamelle Bouie at Slate makes the case for Joe Biden “running as the backup.”
7. Larison asks: What is so humiliating to the U.S. about Russian moves in Syria?
8. And at the Upshot, Susan Dynarski on college financial aid reform.
Get Early Returns every morning in your inbox. Click here to subscribe.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.
To contact the author of this story:
Jonathan Bernstein at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story:
Maria Lamagna at email@example.com