Ben Carson's Ups and Downs
1. John Sides answers a question I (and others) had: Why Ben Carson right now? Answer: Yup, his ups (and downs) are mostly about the level and type of media coverage.
2. Also at the Monkey Cage: Jill Goldenziel on migrants and refugees.
3. Excellent Lynn Vavreck item at The Upshot on "raising money as a signal about a candidate’s appeal to elites and voters." We can measure this; we know that a self-funded dollar does less for candidates than a donated dollar, meaning that receiving contributions is important apart from what the money buys in terms of electioneering.
4. Mark Schmitt at Vox on the Bush Dynasty. Remember, it's four generations now -- not in an, "Oh, probably Chelsea Clinton will run for office some day" way, but four generations of politicians holding statewide (and of course sometimes nationwide) office.
5. And Sarah Posner at Religion Dispatches suggests the only religion question that candidates should be asked.
Get Early Returns every morning in your inbox. Click here to subscribe.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.
To contact the author of this story:
Jonathan Bernstein at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story:
Maria Lamagna at email@example.com