Donald Trump's Historical Precedents
1. At the Monkey Cage, Patrick Egan tells us the only polling number about 2016 we shouldn’t be ignoring this summer. (Yes, I know. The Republican debate rules mean that we have to pay attention to otherwise-meaningless rank-order differences among marginal Republicans. So there’s that, too.)
2. At Mischiefs of Faction, Julia Azari has a nice one on Trump and his supposed historical precedents.
3. Matthew Dickinson throws cold water on the Bernie Sanders surge.
4. Sanders argues with the Upshot’s Nate Cohn about his chances.
5. Very good Ed Kilgore item on Sanders and “hidden majorities.”
6. I mostly agree with Kevin Drum’s point that we should expect candidates to say what they favor, not necessarily how they can achieve those things given the likely political context.
7. Benjamin Wallace-Wells profiles Ta-Nehisi Coates.
Get Early Returns every in morning in your inbox. Click here to subscribe.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.
To contact the author on this story:
Jonathan Bernstein at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor on this story:
Cameron Abadi at email@example.com