There's No Republican Front-Runner
1. John Sides at the Monkey Cage with the evidence that the Republican presidential nomination remains up for grabs. I’m skeptical of calling Jeb Bush any kind of front-runner, by the way; I see no way to separate Bush from Scott Walker and Marco Rubio, based on what we know now.
2. While Seth Masket at Mischiefs of Faction reminds us that the Democratic nomination, well, isn’t up for grabs.
3. Also at the Monkey Cage: Ray La Raja and Brian Schaffner make the case that giving formal party organizations more access to money tends to dampen polarization.
4. “The California Democrat Setting the National Agenda.” Sara Libby profiles California state legislator Lorena Gonzalez. A bit of hype? Sure, but a good story nonetheless.
5. Kevin Drum on what was actually the problem with Jeb Bush’s awkward statement about how Americans should work harder.
6. And my View colleague Francis Wilkinson argues that the “deportation era” has ended.
Get Early Returns every in morning in your inbox. Click here to subscribe.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Bloomberg View's editorial board or Bloomberg LP, its owners and investors.
To contact the author on this story:
Jonathan Bernstein at email@example.com
To contact the editor on this story:
Cameron Abadi at firstname.lastname@example.org