Presidents Don't Explain Everything
1. At the Monkey Cage, James Glaser and Timothy Ryan offer some (cautious) reason for hope of reconciliation after Charleston based on research they conducted the last time South Carolina considered symbols of the Confederacy.
2. Seth Masket at Pacific Standard argues that recent Court rulings will play well for Republicans.
3. While Julia Azari at Mischiefs of Faction thinks about the Court, other recent events, and how they leave the parties.
4. Jesse Rhodes, also at MoF on Barack Obama and the folly of assuming presidents are the best explanation for everything.
5. Dan Drezner on Greece and the future of Europe.
6. Good Bloomberg Politics reporting from Sahil Kapur on the Arizona redistricting case, citing several political scientists. (Most of whom are far more enthusiastic about good government reforms than I am, for what it's worth. I think the Court got it right that ballot propositions instituting nonpartisan commissions are Constitutionally kosher, even though I'm against the process and the substance.)
7. Tom Mann at Brookings on the Arizona redistricting case.
8. Rick Hasen compares the Arizona case to Bush v. Gore.
9. Good look at how redistricting commissions play out nationally from the Upshot's Nate Cohn.
10. What was the Chief Justice really saying last week? Think Progress's Ian Millhiser thinks the (still very conservative) John Roberts is taking on Federalist Society dogma. Very interesting.
11. And "this South isn't erasing history; it's working to build a more truthful narrative of the Civil War for a broader, more diverse generation of Southerners. And the push against Confederate flags is just the beginning." Slate's Jamelle Bouie on what comes next.
Get Early Returns every in morning in your inbox. Click here to subscribe.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Bloomberg View's editorial board or Bloomberg LP, its owners and investors.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- The Ugly Coded Critique of Chick-Fil-A's Christianity
- Trump on Your Resume? Uh-Oh
- First It Was a Warm Coat. Now It's Hot Fashion.
- Republicans Protecting Trump? Actually, It's Worse
- DNC's Hacking Suit Is a Missed Opportunity
- The Blockchain on the High Seas
- Trump Is Not Nixon and North Korea Is Not China