Ritholtz's Reads: Biotech's Cancer Cure
Welcome to the weekend! Pour yourself a mug of slow brewed iced coffee, and settle in for our longer form weekend reads:
- The invention that could revolutionize batteries -- and maybe American manufacturing too (Quartz)
- The Datafication of Business and Society (Pieria)
- Biotech’s Coming Cancer Cure: Supercharge your immune cells to defeat cancer? Juno Therapeutics believes its treatments can do exactly that. (MIT Technology Review)
- A World Without Work: For centuries, experts have predicted that machines would make workers obsolete. That moment may finally be arriving. Could that be a good thing? (The Atlantic) see also What Makes Work Meaningful? Ask a Zookeeper (JSTOR Daily)
- The Rise of the Compliance Guru -- and Banker Ire: The real growth area in U.S. finance is compliance. That’s definitely a bummer for people trying to make money. Is it also bad for the economy? (Bloomberg)
- The $80 Million Fake Bomb-Detector Scam -- and the People Behind It (Vanity Fair)
- The Chemistry and Psychology of Turning Water Into Wine (Nautilus) see also A Deep Dive Into The World’s Most Prestigious Water-Tasting Competition (Buzzfeed)
- College athletes at major programs benefit from confluence of factors to sometimes avoid criminal charges (ESPN)
- Documenting Evil: Inside Assad’s Hospitals of Horror (Vanity Fair)
- L.A. to Nepal: America’s first responders, California Task Force Two follows disaster around the world. (California Sunday)
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Bloomberg View's editorial board or Bloomberg LP, its owners and investors.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Putin Won at the Ballot Box. He's Losing Elsewhere.
- There's a Blamer-in-Chief in the Oval Office
- Cambridge Analytica Behaved Appallingly. Don't Overreact.
- Warren Buffett Is Just an Average Employee
- McCabe's Firing Wasn't Political. Until Trump Made It Political.
- The Population Bomb Has Been Defused
- Putin's Hawks Got the Confirmation They Wanted