Republicans and the Confederate Flag
1. Seva Gunitsky at the Monkey Cage on how measuring democracy is hard.
2. Also at the Monkey Cage, Lee Drutman writes against unlimited donations to parties, supported by some as a way to balance against outside groups. Since I’m for unlimited contributions across the board (along with partial public financing), I suppose I don’t quite have a dog in this fight. In general, I’m against political regulation which works actively against formal party organizations, although I certainly agree with Drutman that most outside groups are connected to the party network.
3. At Mischiefs of Faction, Julia Azari on the president in the garage.
4. Ross Douthat, “Persecution and the Black Church.”
5. Kevin Drum is keeping up with what Scott Walker is up to.
6. And at Slate, Jamelle Bouie on Republicans and the Confederate flag.
Get Early Returns every in morning in your inbox. Click here to subscribe.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Bloomberg View's editorial board or Bloomberg LP, its owners and investors.
To contact the author on this story:
Jonathan Bernstein at email@example.com
To contact the editor on this story:
Cameron Abadi at firstname.lastname@example.org