Politics, Policy and Voting Reform
1. Very good Seth Masket item at Pacific Standard on politics, policy and voting reform.
2. At Mischiefs of Faction, Julia Azari does some field research at a state party meeting.
3. Good point by Perry Bacon Jr. about how ideas move within parties -- and why State of the Union speeches can make a difference well down the road.
4. Harry Enten at 538 collects what we know and what we don’t know about how Fox and CNN will decide which candidates to invite to their debates.
5. Rick Hasen at Slate argues that Hillary Clinton’s style may doom her program of making voting easier. He has a point -- there certainly is a real polarization effect here -- but on balance I’d say bringing a neglected issue to the front of the Democratic Party’s agenda is probably more of a plus than a minus for voting rights.
6. Match-a-PAC 2016, from Sara Plourde and Dan Barrick.
7. And here at View, Zara Kessler floats an important presidential trial balloon for 2024. Which gives me a chance to mention again that minimum ages for office are undemocratic and generally a terrible idea; that’s one that the Framers got totally wrong.
Get Early Returns every in morning in your inbox. Click here to subscribe.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Bloomberg View's editorial board or Bloomberg LP, its owners and investors.
To contact the author on this story:
Jonathan Bernstein at email@example.com
To contact the editor on this story:
Cameron Abadi at firstname.lastname@example.org