South Carolina Cop Deserves a Better Lawyer
The correct ethical response to the video of Officer Michael Slager shooting Walter Scott in the back is to condemn the crime -- with one exception. The exception is Slager’s attorney, who has an ethical obligation as a lawyer to defend his client, not to abandon him or harm him by a public act of distancing. Yet in an interview with the Daily Beast, Slager’s lawyer did just that, dropping his client like a hot potato and strongly implying that Slager either had been set on a course of perjury or was simply too repulsive to represent.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Trump's 'Fake News Awards' Have a Sinister Subtext
- Not Even Trump Can Obliterate America's Soft Power
- Donald Trump's Incomparable Approval Ratings
- The Overlooked Economics of Trump's Tax Law
- The Picture Gets a Little Darker for Republicans
- Amazon's Utterly Predictable Game of Musical Chairs
- Republicans Are Barely Trying to Avoid a Shutdown