Read Stuff, You Should: The Politics of Vetoes
Happy Birthday to Chase Masterson, 52.
The good stuff:
1. At the Monkey Cage, Nolan McCarty looks at the politics of vetoes, after Barack Obama nixed the Keystone XL pipeline bill.
2. More on the politics of vetoes from Julia Azari at Mischiefs of Faction.
3. New research from David Karol shows that senators who retire are doing so earlier in their terms -- and that reformers may be the accidental cause. Derek Willis at the Upshot reports.
4. Dan Drezner at the Washington Post on Benjamin Netanyahu’s odd diplomacy. He suggests a couple of causes, and may be right. But the explanation here could also be what Netanyahu sees as his electoral incentives, even if they run against Israel’s interests.
5. And back at the Monkey Cage, Shauna Shames looks at why young people aren’t running for office.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Bloomberg View's editorial board or Bloomberg LP, its owners and investors.
To contact the author on this story:
Jonathan Bernstein at email@example.com
To contact the editor on this story:
Max Berley at firstname.lastname@example.org