The Geopolitics of 17 Very Obscure Minerals
Rare earths aren't the world's sexiest commodity. The 17 elements are notoriously difficult to extract from the ground and have brazenly obscure names. (Don't make the classic rookie mistake of confusing yttrium with ytterbium.) But what they lack in branding, they certainly make up for in utility and ubiquity: they’re essential to products as wide-ranging as wind turbines, smartphones, high-tech weapon systems, and even your fishing reel.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- We Didn't Normalize Trump. We Normalized the Left's Violence.
- Ignore the Bombast. Trump Gave a Conventional Speech
- Why Workers Are Losing to Capitalists
- Trump Strikes a False Note at the United Nations
- What We Still Don't Know About Obama-Era 'Unmasking'
- The Consequences of the U.S. Baby Bust
- Republicans Peddle Nonsense to Sell Health-Care Plan