Putin Loosens the Spigot but Not the Reins
Russia's agreement to restart flows of natural gas to Ukraine, halted since June, comes as enormously good news. Failure to strike a deal would have left Ukrainians to freeze and deepened a crisis that has already fractured the continent. It doesn't, however, signal any "thaw" in relations between the two ex-Soviet nations, as the European Union's energy commissioner, Guenther Oettinger, optimistically suggested. And it should prompt the EU to accelerate, not relax, efforts to improve Europe's energy security.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- This Thanksgiving, It's Grim in Trump's Swamp
- America's Adversaries Get It: Trump Can Be Ignored
- Trumps Can Never Really Check Out of SoHo Hotel
- Steve Mnuchin Says the Darnedest Things
- Trump's Judgment Is Debatable. His Sanity Is Not.
- Democrats' Next Tax Victory Is Worth the Wait
- The End of Net Neutrality Isn't the End of the World