The Trouble With Tokenism
For Japan's Shinzo Abe, losing two of five female cabinet members to scandal in one day is hugely embarrassing -- a grave setback to his efforts to shake up the staid, male-dominated world of Japanese politics. More importantly, it's a reminder of the real problem with Abe's female-empowerment drive: His policies remain more symbol than substance.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Trump, Presidential? Steph Curry Knows Better.
- 'Gaydar' Shows How Creepy Algorithms Can Get
- China Could Seize a Bit of the Skies
- Merkel's Lackluster Win Is Good for Germany
- More Sanctions, Fewer Insults Against North Korea
- Melania Trump Has a Bully-in-Chief Problem
- Conservatives and the Rotten Smell of States' Rights