Read Stuff, You Should: Toxic Internet
Happy Birthday to Jay Laga'aia, 51.
Right to the good stuff.
1. Lynn Vavreck makes the case for Rob Portman as a solid Republican nomination candidate. I agree; his position on marriage is tricky, but probably not disqualifying.
2. From Sarah Binder, a nice graph showing circuit court nomination delays in the postwar era.
3. Henry Farrell passes along the research explaining a "festering toxic mess."
4. Harold Pollack interviews Rick Perlstein about his new book on the rise of Ronald Reagan.
5. Good overview of the current state of Obamacare (non-)repeal, from Greg Sargent. With spiffy charts!
6. Before Nate Silver gets around to a nice analysis of the problems with registered voter polling pools, he begins with a fascinating discussion of long-term party politics. Highly recommend the start of this one; the rest is good if you're trying to choose between forecasters.
7. And I have no dog in this fight, but I like Alex Massie and enjoyed his essay on voting No in Scotland.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Bloomberg View's editorial board or Bloomberg LP, its owners and investors.
To contact the author on this story:
Jonathan Bernstein at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor on this story:
Max Berley at email@example.com