Read Stuff, You Should: How Misinformation Spreads
Happy Birthday to Ione Skye, 44. "Say Anything" isn't a top-five 1980s teen movie; it's probably not, in terms of quality, a top-five John Cusack 1980s teen movie. But there's no denying its iconic status within the genre.
There's also the good stuff:
1. Charli Carpenter on the campaign against "killer robots" and where the hype comes from.
2. Dan Drezner on the politics of tipping.
3. What's Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley up to? Ed Kilgore on what may be the early stirrings of the 2020 nomination battle.
4. Good explanation from Chris Cillizza and John Sides about why the Monkey Cage Senate prediction model has moved toward a toss-up.
5. Jonathan Cohn looks at the latest evidence on health care spending trends.
6. A great case study on the spread of misinformation ... about misinformation. From David Uberti.
7. The natural transition from the above would be a heads up about the next "scandal" to expect in the drafting of new climate regulations. Rebecca Leber reports.
8. Good catch from Seth Masket on Michael Baron's silly attack on the recent American Political Science Association conference. It's true that many papers given at such gatherings have zero immediate application to current events. It's also true that many of those papers are jargon-filled and less than inviting to outsiders. That's science for you; anyone who thinks that political science has nothing useful to say about current U.S. politics hasn't been paying attention.
9. And Philip Bump assesses the presidential candidates' families. Fun.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Bloomberg View's editorial board or Bloomberg LP, its owners and investors.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Jared Kushner's Dreams of Mideast Peace Are Alive
- Elon Musk Is the Henry Ford of His Age. That's Bad.
- Mark Zuckerberg Has No Way Out of Facebook's Quagmire
- Leaking Is Just a Symptom. Trump Himself Is the Cause.
- Don't Count On Jeff Sessions Protecting Mueller
- Is Trump Playing Into Xi's Hands?
- A Pro-Putin Town Explodes in Anger