Read Stuff, You Should: What to Do About Torture
Happy Birthday to Clayton Rohner, 57. I have to admit I've never connected all of his appearances (I've seen him in at least half a dozen things) with his iconic role in "Just One of the Guys." The movie, not the current (hit?) single.
Another day, another haul of good stuff:
1. Adam Serwer takes on Barack Obama's record on torture. I agree with the activist he quotes that the key question is what Obama does to prevent it from happening again, and that he's fallen short on that to date. At the same time, it's not clear what the best path is.
2. An August Senate primary primer from Caitlin Huey-Burns.
3. More on constitutional conservatives from Ed Kilgore.
4. Andrew Gelman and David Rothschild make the case for the YouGov polls the New York Times is using during this election cycle. I'm no methodologist, but I know Gelman and Rothschild a little, and strongly support them on this one. No one should assume that all newfangled Internet-based survey methods are automatically kosher, but YouGov's track record is excellent.
5. More methodology: Dan Drezner on why different ways of learning things go together and inform one another. Sounds obvious, right? And it is -- but too many in the press (and elsewhere) miss that obvious point.
6. And Seth Masket on partisan power grabs and the birth of Colorado.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Bloomberg View's editorial board or Bloomberg LP, its owners and investors.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Putin Won at the Ballot Box. He's Losing Elsewhere.
- There's a Blamer-in-Chief in the Oval Office
- Cambridge Analytica Behaved Appallingly. Don't Overreact.
- Warren Buffett Is Just an Average Employee
- Putin's Hawks Got the Confirmation They Wanted
- The Population Bomb Has Been Defused
- McCabe's Firing Wasn't Political. Until Trump Made It Political.