Read Stuff, You Should: Facts and Opinions
Happy Birthday to Ringo Starr, 74.
Refreshed from the long weekend, and ready for some good stuff:
1. Brendan Nyhan on facts and beliefs.
2. And Paul Krugman thinks Nyhan also explains conservative economists and inflation.
3. Matthew Dickinson with more context for that "Obama-is-the-worst-president-ever" poll.
4. Lynn Vavreck on how polls in general can go wrong.
5. Free Voter ID? Not so much, a new study finds.
6. Jonathan Chait pushes back against my claim that Barack Obama is a generic Democratic president. I should clarify a bit. I don't mean that any other plausible Democratic nominee would have had an identical presidency; I just think it would have been very similar if he or she had a similar skill level, which I think of as more or less at the median point. At any rate, on one point: In January 2010, both Chait and I believed that the logic of the situation would drive Democrats to complete passage of the Affordable Care Act. So even though it's possible that an inept president might have found a way to mess it up, I don't think it's reasonable to give Obama too much added credit for the finish line portion of passing health care reform.
7. And I totally missed my chance Thursday: I was going to do a humorous tweet (no, really, I was) about how House Speaker John Boehner's response to the excellent employment report was going to be his usual question: Yes, but where are the jobs? Anyway, I get no credit since I didn't take the time to do it, but it turns out I was right on the money, as Steve Benen explains.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Bloomberg View's editorial board or Bloomberg LP, its owners and investors.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Putin Won at the Ballot Box. He's Losing Elsewhere.
- There's a Blamer-in-Chief in the Oval Office
- Cambridge Analytica Behaved Appallingly. Don't Overreact.
- Warren Buffett Is Just an Average Employee
- Putin's Hawks Got the Confirmation They Wanted
- The Population Bomb Has Been Defused
- McCabe's Firing Wasn't Political. Until Trump Made It Political.