The Twitter Terrorist Who Wasn't
When police in Rotterdam arrested a 14-year-old girl for writing a menacing tweet aimed at American Airlines, they and the airline apparently wanted to teach her a lesson. One has to wonder whether it was the right one.
Granted, the girl, named Sarah and known on Twitter as @QueenDemetriax_, made a really dumb joke. Here's what she tweeted to American Airlines: "hello my name's Ibrahim and I'm from Afghanistan. I'm part of Al Qaida and on June 1st I'm gonna do something really big bye." The airline responded: "Sarah, we take these threats very seriously. Your IP address and details will be forwarded to security and the FBI." A long string of apologies and further lame attempts at humor followed from Sarah. She begged: "pls pls pls can I do something to make it good pls I'm so scared I'm just a 14 year old white girl I'm not a terrorist pls."
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Donald Trump's Incomparable Approval Ratings
- A North Korea Solution: Take Kim Out of the Loop
- Trump Erodes the Global Power of American Values
- Amazon's Utterly Predictable Game of Musical Chairs
- It’s Normal to Ask Questions About Bitcoin ETFs
- Not Even Trump Can Obliterate America's Soft Power
- Why Hospitals Aren't in the Drug Business