The Republican `Permission Structure' for Racial Resentment
To hear some conservatives tell it, the Republican Party's history on race relations is nothing to be ashamed of. Sure, Strom Thurmond and other racists switched from the Democratic to the Republican coalition at the very moment when Democrats were abandoning segregation and embracing civil rights for blacks. But that wasn't because of race. It was because of [insert something about "constitutional principles" and "states' rights" here].
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- We Didn't Normalize Trump. We Normalized the Left's Violence.
- Ignore the Bombast. Trump Gave a Conventional Speech
- Why Workers Are Losing to Capitalists
- What We Still Don't Know About Obama-Era 'Unmasking'
- The Consequences of the U.S. Baby Bust
- Republicans Peddle Nonsense to Sell Health-Care Plan
- Trump Strikes a False Note at the United Nations