Is Obama Undermining America’s Credibility?Stephen L. Carter
May 3 (Bloomberg) -- Polybius, in his “Histories,” tells the story of Antiochus IV, ruler of the Seleucid Empire, who invaded Egypt during the second century B.C. The Egyptians, led by Ptolemy, sent urgently to Rome for assistance. When the Roman ambassador arrived, he handed over a list of the Roman Senate’s demands, then used his staff to draw a line in the sand around the “astonished” Antiochus “and told him he must remain inside this circle until he gave his decision about the contents of the letter.”
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Trump's Re-Election Edge Is Greatly Exaggerated
- Talking North Korea and Iran With Israel's Rocket Man
- Stick With Numbers When Judging Trump's Rally
- Are Blockchain Diplomas the Real Deal?
- Trump’s Quiet Campaign to Undermine Background Checks
- Trump Falls on Ceremony. He Should Stop Trying.
- Think the U.S. Has a Facebook Problem? Look to Asia