"I am not a candidate for president and ask that electors not vote for me when they gather later this month," Ohio Gov. John Kasich says in statement on Twitter.
- "Our country had an election and Donald Trump won": Kasich
- NOTE: Christopher Suprun, Republican presidential elector, wrote NY Times op-ed that members of Electoral College "should unify behind Republican alternative"
- Suprun suggested backing Kasich, himself a former presidential candidate who refused to support Trump as nominee
- Kasich: "This approach, as well meaning as it is, will only serve to further divide our nation, when unity is needed"
- "Now is the time for all of us to come together"
- Related: Republican Elector Says in NYT Op-Ed He Won’t Vote for Trump