State Department to Release Clinton E-Mails on Benghazi Attack

The U.S. State Department said it would release on Friday Hillary Clinton’s e-mails that it previously provided to a Republican-led committee investigating the 2012 terrorist attack in Benghazi, Libya.

The e-mails are a fraction of more than 30,000 work-related messages Clinton, now a Democratic presidential candidate, turned over from the private e-mail account she used while secretary of state in President Barack Obama’s first term.

“The e-mails we release today do not change the essential facts or our understanding of the events before, during, or after the attacks,” State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said in an e-mail.

Clinton’s use of a private e-mail address and home server in the job has become a focus of a House committee investigating the Sept. 11, 2012, terrorist attacks in Libya. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans were killed in an assault on the U.S. diplomatic compound in Benghazi and a nearby CIA outpost.

Republicans have tried for more than two years and through multiple investigations to prove that Clinton failed to bolster security before the assault, and that she should share blame for the initial, erroneous account provided by the administration of what happened in the incident.

Democrats say the Republican investigations focusing on Clinton are inspired by partisan politics. The State Department is reviewing the remainder of the Clinton e-mails for public release in the coming months.

Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal.
LEARN MORE