Hillary Clinton E-Mails Said to Contain 'Sensitive But Unclassified' Information

The New York Times reviews a batch of e-mails related to the 2012 Benghazi attack.

Hillary Clinton appears to have received information considered “sensitive but unclassified” at her private e-mail address while she was secretary of state, the New York Times reported Thursday.

That is based on the newspaper's review of about a third of the 850 pages of messages that the State Department has given to the Republican-led House committee investigating the 2012 Benghazi attack and plans to release “in the coming days.”

So far, the messages “appear to back up Mrs. Clinton’s previous assertions that she did not receive classified information at her private email address,” according to the report.

The e-mails to Clinton include one from 2011 about the movements of diplomat Christopher Stevens, who was concerned about deteriorating security in Benghazi, according to the report. He was killed in the 2012 attack while serving as ambassador to Libya.

The messages reviewed by the Times also “show that Mrs. Clinton was circulating information about the attacks in Benghazi that contradicted the Obama administration’s initial narrative of what occurred,” the report said.

A federal judge this week ordered the State Department to release Clinton's e-mails, which total about 55,000 pages, on a rolling basis as the agency reviews them. Clinton has said she wants her messages publicized as soon as possible. Prior to launching her campaign, she defended the private e-mail use and said she had given all relevant messages to the department.

Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal.
LEARN MORE