Skip to content

Cape Town to Seek 700 MW of Power as Eskom Imposes Outages

  • City to announce plans for initial 200 MW within two weeks
  • South Africa has had intermittent power cuts for over a decade
Updated on

Cape Town, South Africa’s second-biggest city, will announce plans to secure more than 200 megawatts of electricity supply from independent producers within two weeks, a city official said as the national power utility imposed its first power cuts of the year.

The plan is the first step in a process to procure as much as 700 megawatts of power for the city of four million people, Kadri Nassiep, the city’s executive director of energy and climate change, said by phone on Wednesday. The city has previously communicated an intention to procure its own electricity, primarily from renewable sources such as solar.