Skip to content

U.S. Nuclear Submarine Hits Mystery Object in South China Sea; 11 Hurt

  • Vessel ‘safe and stable;’ no major injuries among crew: Navy
  • Incident follows Chinese protests of U.S.-Australia sub deal
A file photo of USS Connecticut
A file photo of USS ConnecticutSource: U.S. Navy/Thiep Van Nguyen II
Updated on

A U.S. nuclear-powered attack submarine struck an object while submerged in international waters in the Indo-Pacific region last week, the Navy said, adding that no life-threatening injuries were reported.

“The submarine remains in a safe and stable condition. USS Connecticut’s nuclear propulsion plant and spaces were not affected and remain fully operational,” U.S. Pacific Fleet said in a statement late Thursday, adding that the extent of the damage from the Oct 2. incident is being assessed.