Skip to content
Subscriber Only

Billionaire Isabel dos Santos Denies Wrongdoing at Sonangol

  • Dos Santos was dismissed as chairwoman of Sonangol in 2017
  • Says Angola’s fight against corruption can’t become witch hunt
Isabel dos Santos
Isabel dos SantosPhotographer: Daniel Rodgrigues/Bloomberg
Updated on

Isabel dos Santos, Africa’s richest woman and the daughter of former Angolan President Jose Eduardo dos Santos, said she did nothing wrong when she was chairwoman of state-owned oil company Sonangol and called a probe into the transfer of millions of dollars from the Luanda-based firm “political vengeance.”

Angolan newspaper Novo Jornal reported on Oct. 18 that Angola’s prosecuting authority started a criminal investigation into the transfer of $38 million from Sonangol authorized by dos Santos. Her successor at Sonangol, Carlos Saturnino, accused dos Santos last year of authorizing the transfer to a company in Dubai days after she was dismissed as chairwoman. Saturnino was sacked in May.