Skip to content
Subscriber Only

Death of Brazilian Tourists Adds to Airbnb Problems in Chile

The Airbnb where 6 tourists died of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning in Santiago.
The Airbnb where 6 tourists died of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning in Santiago.Photographer: Esteban Felix/AP Photo

Six Brazilian tourists died Wednesday in downtown Santiago from a carbon monoxide leak in an apartment they rented through Airbnb, worsening an already tense relationship between the San Francisco-based rental platform, local hotels and other residents.

The company said it is providing support to the families of the deceased and security of guests and hosts is the company’s priority. Negative incidents are "extremely rare", and Airbnb notifies guests when their rental properties don’t have smoke or carbon monoxide detectors, the company said in an emailed statement.