Skip to content
Subscriber Only

Ebola in Congo `Largely Contained' With No New Cases, WHO Says

  • Almost 30 people died since outbreak declared on May 8
  • Current flare-up is Congo’s ninth since first case in 1976
Health workers monitor the temperature of a traveler from the Democratic Republic of Congo at a port in Bangui on June 3, 2018. 

Health workers monitor the temperature of a traveler from the Democratic Republic of Congo at a port in Bangui on June 3, 2018. 

Photographer: Florent  Vergnes/AFP/Getty Images

An Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo has been “largely contained” with no new cases confirmed for more than 10 days, the World Health Organization said.

Congo declared the outbreak on May 8 and 28 people have died so far, according to the WHO. There have been 60 suspected cases, of which 38 have been confirmed, Congo’s Health Ministry said in a statement on Tuesday.