Turkey Captures Suspect in New Year’s Massacre in Istanbul

  • Uzbek-born alleged attacker trained in Afghanistan: Governor
  • IS suspect said to confess attack on fabled Istanbul nightclub

Turkish police have captured an Uzbekistan-born man suspected of killing 39 people in a New Year’s shooting spree at an Istanbul nightclub.

Islamic State had claimed responsibility for the attack on the Reina nightclub, an act of terrorism that has replayed multiple times in Turkey as it fails to keep the violence in Syria from spilling into its cities. The suspect, Abdulkadir Masharipov, was apprehended in Istanbul late Monday along with an Iraqi man and three women from different countries, Istanbul Governor Vasip Sahin said on Tuesday. Police detained 50 other suspected accomplices.

Abdulkadir Masharipov

Source: Turkish Police/Depo Photos via EPA

Read more: Islamic State Claims New Year’s Massacre at Istanbul Nightclub

“He is a well-trained terrorist trained in Afghanistan who speaks four languages,” Sahin said. “The terrorist has admitted his guilt and his fingerprints matched. He was in possession of $197,000, a blank gun and a drone and mobile phone cards.”

Masharipov is thought to have illegally crossed into Turkey through its eastern border in January 2016, Sahin said. About 2,000 policemen have raided 162 addresses in Istanbul since the nightclub shooting, he said. Masharipov was apprehended after he contacted another person linked to Islamic State who was being tracked, Yeni Safak newspaper said.

He was with his 4-year-old son at the time of his capture, Hurriyet newspaper reported. His wife and daughter had already been taken into custody on Jan. 12 in Istanbul, Hurriyet said. Photos published by Turkish media after the raid showed Masharipov’s face and shirt bloodied and his eye bruised.

    Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal.
    LEARN MORE