Strong Tremors Hit Central Italy Two Months After Deadly Quake

  • Two quakes of 5.9 and 5.4 magnitude strike Marche region
  • Tremors follow deadly quake that killed almost 300 in August

Temblors of 5.4 and 5.9 magnitude struck central Italy Wednesday, two months after a deadly quake destroyed several towns in the same area and killed almost 300 people.

The first struck at 7:10 p.m. local time, while the second stronger aftershock hit at 9:18 p.m., according to the Italian Institute of Geology and Vulcanology. Both tremors took place near Macerata in the Marche region, according to INGV. Strong shaking was felt in Rome about 120 kilometers away. One light injury was reported so far, Fabrizio Curcio of Italy’s Civil Protection said in comments televised on SkyTG24.

“We’re in the square, all the lights are out, we can’t see, we’re counting each other to see who’s here, we still don’t know how bad the situation is,” Mauro Falcucci, mayor of Castelsantangelo sul Nera, site of the first quake’s epicenter, said in a phone interview on SkyTG24. “We’re waiting for help.”

— With assistance by Giovanni Salzano

    Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal.
    LEARN MORE