Carney Confident Banks to Pass On Rate Cut to Customers: ChartBy
Mark Carney issued a sidelong warning to British banks on Wednesday as he testified to U.K. lawmakers, saying he’s “highly confident” lenders will pass the Bank of England’s August rate cut onto their customers, “but we’re watching.” Data on home loans shows the BOE governor might be right, with mortgage rates dropping to a record low in the month. Other loan costs also need to come down though, and Carney said that if there’s a clear improvement in funding conditions that’s not being passed on then the BOE “might be in a position to ask why not.”
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- A L'Oreal Heiress Is Now the World's Richest Woman
- Ivanka Trump Faces Courtroom Showdown Over $785 Sandals
- How Electric Cars Can Create the Biggest Disruption Since the iPhone
- Uber Losing Battle in London After Regulator Revokes License
- A Storm's Never Destroyed a Grid Like Maria Ruined Puerto Rico's