Suicide Bomber Kills Dozens at Yemen Recruitment Officeby
More than 50 people died in a suicide attack in Yemen’s port city of Aden that targeted recruits joining forces fighting Shiite Houthi rebels.
Fifty-four people were killed and 67 were wounded in the bombing on Monday, Alkhader Laswar, director of the health office in Aden, said by phone. A suicide bomber drove up to a recruitment office for the pro-government Southern Popular Resistance militia and detonated his device, local newspaper Aden Al-Ghad reported. The center was drafting fighters to join Saudi-led forces battling the rebels.
Aden is controlled by a Saudi-led coalition that has been fighting the Houthis and forces loyal to former president Ali Abdullah Saleh since March last year. Nearly 4,000 civilians have been killed in the conflict and 3 million people have been displaced, according to a United Nations Human Rights Office report issued last week. The coalition says hundreds of Saudis living in the border region have been killed by projectiles fired from Yemen.