When Police Use Robots to Kill People
The police shooting in Dallas on Thursday marks a milestone in the history of American law enforcement: This is the first time a police department used a robot to kill someone, experts say. On Friday morning, the city’s police chief, David Brown, said officers used a robot to set off an explosive, killing a suspect in the shooting deaths of five police officers after failing to persuade him to surrender. The act raised uncomfortable questions at a time of increasing concern about the police using sophisticated technology that was once employed exclusively in war zones.
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.
- Tesla Unveils ‘World’s Fastest Production Car’ and Electric Big Rig
- Norway Idea to Exit Oil Stocks Is ‘Shot Heard Around the World’
- Getting a Dog May Save Your Life, Especially If You’re Single
- The Questionable Math Behind Manafort’s Extravagant Home Renovations
- World’s Biggest Wealth Fund Wants Out of Oil and Gas