Niger Prepares to Attack Boko Haram Militants, Minister Says

Niger is collaborating with Chad to launch an offensive against Boko Haram militants after a surge in attacks left scores dead in villages in the southeast, Defense Minister Hassoumi Massaoudou said.

“We’re preparing an attack,” Massaoudou told reporters Thursday in the capital, Niamey. “What I can say is that Boko Haram hasn’t yet captured a piece of territory.”

A raid by the Nigeria-based Islamist militants on the town of Bosso last week forced 50,000 people to flee and left 26 soldiers dead, marking the most violent attack in Niger’s remote southeast this year.

Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal.
LEARN MORE