Skip to content
Subscriber Only

EU Cancels Talks to Boost Sugar Supply as Some Countries Oppose

  • Talks had been planned for May 26 as sugar inventories drop
  • EU sugar users say talks needed, producers welcome decision

The European Union canceled a plan to discuss boosting sugar supplies after some member states opposed the idea even though the region’s stockpiles are headed toward the lowest in at least a decade.

Talks that were initially scheduled to take place at a May 26 meeting have been withdrawn from the agenda, Daniel Rosario, a spokesman for the European Commission, the bloc’s regulatory arm, said by e-mail. The EU had considered allowing at least 300,000 metric tons of additional supplies in the region, people familiar with matter said earlier this month.