Ivory Coast to Try Ex-First Lady on Crimes Against Humanity

Ivory Coast will open a new case against former first lady Simone Gbagbo on charges of crimes against humanity committed during the violence that followed a disputed election in 2010, her lawyer said.

The West African nation’s Supreme Court rejected an appeal by Gbagbo asking the charges be dropped because of insufficient evidence, Rodrigue Dadje said by phone on Thursday. The decision paves the way for a trial that will probably take place in May, Dadje said.

Last year, a criminal court sentenced Gbagbo to 20 years in prison for participating in an insurrection and causing public disorder during the 2010-2011 conflict that was triggered by her husband’s refusal to step down after losing a presidential election. Laurent Gbagbo is currently being tried by the International Criminal Court in the Netherlands.

Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal.
LEARN MORE