Brussels `Not Paralyzed' as Normal Life Resumes, Michel Saysby
Belgian leader says city is safe for tourists, businesspeople
Hunt goes on for man suspected of directing airport bombing
Belgium’s prime minister sought to reassure tourists, businesspeople and the Belgians themselves that Brussels is safe again after last month’s terrorist attacks that killed 32 people.
The Brussels airport and subway system -- scenes of the March 22 suicide bombings -- are gradually ramping up toward normal operations, museums are open and the police and army are out in force.
“Brussels is not paralyzed,” Prime Minister Charles Michel told local and international reporters in Brussels on Wednesday.
Police have made some arrests in connection with the blasts and a foiled attack near Paris, but continue to hunt for the presumed director of the Brussels attacks, the “man in the hat” seen on airport surveillance videos.
Belgium has owned up to some security failings, such as by getting rid of a widely criticized law from 1967 that bans police raids between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m.
Some 180 flights were set for the airport on Wednesday, compared to a daily average of about 570 in 2015.