Burberry's Bailey Says Catwalk Shakeup Needed for Smartphone Eraby and
Making shoppers wait six months to buy styles is ``confusing''
Fashion label outlined plans this month to consolidate shows
Burberry Group Plc Chief Executive Officer Christopher Bailey said his decision to change the way the British luxury company markets and distributes its runway collections “is about being relevant and a bit of common sense.”
Smartphones and social media mean customers around the world now get to see the clothing and accessories as soon as they appear on the catwalk, Bailey said in a Bloomberg Television interview Monday after Burberry’s fashion show in London.
“I have always found it confusing,” Bailey said of making customers wait as long as six months to buy the latest styles.
London-based Burberry outlined plans earlier this month to consolidate its shows and make the collections available for purchase immediately afterward in stores and online. While designer Tom Ford has said he will follow suit, Gucci owner Kering SA poured cold water on the notion, saying Friday the decision “negates the dream” of luxury.
“Burberry will have as much time to create and craft those collections as we always had,” said Bailey, who is also the company’s chief creative officer. “We are just moving things a different way.”