Suicide Blasts Kill 14 People in Northeast Nigeria's Chibokby and
Multiple bombings at a town market injures 24 people
President said Boko Haram was tecnically defeated last month
Multiple suicide bomb blasts killed at least 14 people on Wednesday in the northeast Nigerian town of Chibok, where more than 200 schoolgirls were abducted by Boko Haram militants almost two years ago.
Two female bombers killed 14 people and injured 24 others when they detonated explosives at a market in the town at about 1 p.m., Lawan Pogu, a ruling All Progressives Congress party chairman in Chibok, said by phone. Ayuba Alanson, a community leader, said there were three bomb blasts.
Boko Haram has killed thousands of people and displaced more than 2 million Nigerians during a seven-year campaign to establish its version of Islamic law in Africa’s biggest economy. The group was beaten back from territory it held early last year but continues to carry out suicide bombings and hit-and-run attacks.
The Chibok abduction caused an international outcry and lead to the #BringBackOurGirls social media campaign championed by Michelle Obama. Most of the students remain missing. Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari ordered an investigation into the kidnapping this month.
In December, Buhari said the armed forces had technically won the war against the insurgents and that Boko Haram can’t launch conventional attacks anymore.
“I cannot understand the reason why government is insisting that normalcy has returned,” said Solomon Abga, a Chibok resident.