EasyJet Scrapped 176 Flights Last Month After Egypt Terror Crash

  • Sharm el-Sheik services suspended until January at least
  • 12-month passenger tally still increased by 4.4 million

EasyJet Plc canceled 176 flights to Sharm el-Sheik last month after the downing of a Russian passenger jet in a suspected terrorist bombing prompted the U.K. government to ban flights to the Red Sea resort, from where the aircraft had taken off minutes before the crash.

The Luton, England-based discount airline scrapped 378 services in total during November, compared with 16 a year earlier, with the balance due to “adverse weather conditions,” it said in a statement Friday.

EasyJet and British Airways said last week they’d suspend flights to Sharm el-Sheik until January at least as U.K. authorities continue to assess the airport’s security arrangements after the loss of the Metrojet aircraft on Oct. 31. The crash killed all 224 people aboard the Airbus Group SE A321.

Despite the tragedy, EasyJet’s rolling 12-month passenger tally was still 4.4 million higher than a year earlier at 69.6 million, the carrier said, with the seat-occupancy level -- or load factor -- gaining 1 percentage point to 91.8 percent.

EasyJet didn’t comment on the impact on demand of the Nov. 13 attacks in Paris, which killed 130. The carrier is the second largest in the French market.

Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal.
LEARN MORE