Security Concerns Cancel Climate March Planned for Paris Meetingby
Paris police won't allow Nov. 29 march, activists say
Thouands were expected to march, in prelude to UN summit
A march expected to draw thousands of climate-change activists to Paris this month has been canceled by police amid security concerns following last week’s terrorist massacre.
Parisian police won’t allow the Nov. 29 march or a series of activities planned for Dec. 12 to go forward, according to an e-mailed statement Wednesday from Coalition Climat 21, a confederation of groups planning the demonstrations. Organizers had expected more than 100,000 participants at the march.
The march was set to be a high-profile prelude to a landmark United Nations summit on climate change that begins Nov. 30. More than 40,000 people, including heads of state, diplomats, activists and business executives, were expected to descend on Paris for the two-week meeting. French officials have said the conference will go forward despite last week’s attacks.
“We regret that no alternative has been found to allow our mobilization plans to go ahead,” the coalition said in its statement. “However, we are more determined than ever to make our voices heard on climate justice and throughout both weeks.”