Every U.K. Household to Get Right to Request Fast Broadband

  • Commitment will take force in 2020 and include remote areas
  • David Cameron to announce pledge in speech on Monday

David Cameron will set out plans to give every household in the U.K. the right to request a broadband connection by 2020, putting fast Internet on a par with gas, water and electricity.

The government is currently on course to have broadband reaching 95 percent of premises by 2017, with BT Group Plc delivering the connections. The remaining 5 percent -- about 1.5 million addresses -- are much harder to reach, with most of them in remote areas.

In a speech on Monday, the prime minister will say that he wants those households and businesses to have a legal entitlement to ask for a broadband connection of at least 10 megabits per second.

“Access to the Internet shouldn’t be a luxury; it should be a right – absolutely fundamental to life in 21st century Britain,” Cameron will say, according to his office.

The government will consult early in 2016 on how to deliver the pledge.

Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal.
LEARN MORE