Colombian ELN Rebels Murdered 11 Soldiers, 1 Policeman: SantosMatthew Bristow
Rebels from ELN, Colombia’s 2nd-biggest Marxist guerrilla group, ambushed soldiers and police in Boyaca province today, President Juan Manuel Santos said in national address.
- Soldiers and police were guarding results of yday’s regional elections
- “It’s an event that shows that the ELN hasn’t understood that this is a time of peace, and not of war,” Santos said.
- “I have ordered the Minister of Defense, and the armed forces, to redouble their efforts, to intensify their military actions, against this organization.”
- NOTE: Colombian govt has held exploratory talks with ELN, but hasn’t started formal peace negotiations
- NOTE: Govt has held peace talks with larger FARC rebel group since 2012
To continue reading this article you must be a Bloomberg Professional Service Subscriber.
If you believe that you may have received this message in error please let us know.